Monday, July 31, 2006

Too Busy Livin' To Blog

Sheer blaspheme to the Web 2.0 recruits, I’m sure. Nevertheless, it’s my excuse and I’m sticking to.

Late June, the hottest June I can remember in the Northwest, I’m experiencing what might have been mild heat exhaustion. Luckily I fell into that misfortune next to a snowmelt-cold creek, crashing down the mountain with the rush and roar of a freight train. I covered my head with my creek-soaked bandanda and drank as much water as I could, recovered my pack, and continued to march up the sun-exposed ridge to base camp.

You can view this same profile of Silver Star if you look up and to your right, after you drive around the hairpin turn, descending the North Cascade pass, and head into Mazama, WA. You reach the summit by ascending the ridge in front of the mountain, climb through the notch, and then a traverse down the other side crossing a snowfield and small glacier. A scrabble with possible belay on the last, short pitch completes your summit bid. A shimmer up the final, true summit block and you’ll quickly feel very exposed!


Right, and more goats! The goat is the unroped creature.